The flamethrower is a mechanical incendiary device designed to project a long, controllable stream of fire.
The weapon appears in the 2002 video game The Thing.
In the 2002 video game The Thing, flame weaponry is the only way for players to kill large, self-repairing Thing Beasts. The Blowtorch, the Flamethrower and the Flame Grenades are the only way to achieve this. The weapon ignites friends and foes alike and can also be used to create fire walls which can be used to trap enemy targets. The Flamethrower's ammunition is represented by a fuel meter, but Blake changes canisters occasionally after spending some fuel.
The Flamethrower appears to be a military flamethrower, found in military outposts throughout the game, and used by Arctic Marines and Whitley's Black Ops Soldiers. It adopts a design typical in films and videogames, with an assault rifle compact design and a fuel canister attached below the receiver, like a rifle magazine. It features an elongated nozzle and a pistol grip. It follows the classic design of the M240 Incinerator Unit featured in Aliens(1986).
- Norwegian Outpost: South - On Pierce. You can get it from him, and it is highly recommended that you do so, as Pierce will disappear after you exit the level, taking whichever guns he has on him.
- Norwegian Research Center - On Williams, but you can't get it from him if he doesn't trust you. You can get a flamethrower for yourself in a crate by the kitchen in the mess hall Williams is in.
- Weather Station - On a corpse behind the Weather Station itself. Some Scuttlers will spawn as soon as you reach it.
- Strata Medical Facility - In the armory.
- Strata Furnace - When you leave the starting room with two furnaces and crates in the center, if you go down the stairs and turn right, you'll find it in a small room. If you have Falchek with you, be careful, as he will burst out once you exit this room.
- Weapons Security - In a small hut just ahead of you when you start. There is a Walker inside. You have to fix the Junction Box. Watch out, as the Walker escapes immediately after you fix it.